Medical Scholarships Around The World: The importance of producing qualified doctors and medical researchers is recognized the world over. And this acknowledgement is one of the reasons for the widespread availability of graduate scholarships for medical students, offered at medical schools around the globe.
At undergraduate level, medical school scholarships are less common. However, there are still a number of opportunities for students to gain funding for a first degree in health and medical subjects, covering a range of program types. Whatever your area of focus – from tropical medicine to hereditary disease – make sure you check for potential scholarship opportunities.
Here are some examples of the types of medical scholarships on offer at all degree levels around the world.
To study in Australia or New Zealand
- AFPHM John Snow Scholarship – Medical scholarships from The Royal Australasian College of Physicians, awarded to students at accredited medical schools and universities in Australia and New Zealand.
- University of Auckland John Hamel MacGregor Award in Medical Science – Medical scholarships for international and domestic students to study for a Bachelor of Medical Science or a postgraduate research degree at the University of Auckland in New Zealand.
- University of Melbourne Baillieu Research Scholarship – Scholarships for medical students to study in Australia at graduate level at the University of Melbourne. Only open to Australian students, with preference given to Australian descendants of WW1 soldiers.
- University of Wollongong Scholarships – A range of medical school scholarships to fund study in the Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health at the University of Wollongong in Australia.
To study in North America
- AMA Minority Scholars Award – Medical scholarships for underrepresented students studying medicine in the US. Eligible students include African-Americans, Alaskan Natives, American Indians, Hispanics and Native Hawaiians.
- American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholarships – International scholarships for graduates aged 35-50 who are interested in medical teaching or research, to study and undertake research in the US.
- AMWA Awards – The American Medical Women’s Association funds medical school scholarships and fellowships on offer to all AMWA student members.
- ASCP Siemens Scholarships – A range of medical school scholarships for graduate medical technologists, technicians and scientists to study in the US at selected medical schools.
- ASME Grants and Fellowships – Various international scholarships for medical students, teachers and researchers to continue their medical education in the US and outside.
- Edith SeVille Coale Scholarships – Scholarships for women in their third year of medical school studying in the US at one of four medical schools near Washington DC, including Johns Hopkins University’s School of Medicine.
- Harvard Medical School – Available medical scholarships include the Emirates Cardiac Society Scholarships, in which priority is given to students from the United Arab Emirates.
- University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine Awards – Doctoral scholarships for students enrolled in the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at the University of Calgary in Canada.
- US Army Health Professions Scholarship Program – The US army will pay 100% of the tuition for a graduate-level healthcare degree for any accredited medical, dental, veterinary, psychology or optometry program in the US or Puerto Rico. For US residents only.
- UCLA David Geffen Medical Scholarships – Merit-based scholarships for students (including international students) entering the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Provides financial support covering 100 percent of the four-year cost of attending medical school – including tuition, accommodation and other expenses.
- United Health Foundation/NMF Diverse Medical Scholars Program – 32 awards of $7,000 are available to medical students who identify with a minority group, are US citizens, and are currently enrolled in medical school.
- The Recovery Village Health Care Scholarship – A $1,000 award is available for a US student or permanent resident who is pursuing a medical-related program. To apply, you’ll need to submit an essay describing why you’re passionate about health care, with a focus on substance abuse and mental health.
- Tylenol Future Care Scholarship – 10 awards of $10,000 and 30 awards of $5,000 are available for students seeking careers in healthcare. You can be studying at undergraduate or graduate level and must be a US or Puerto Rican citizen to apply.
To study in Europe
- AMC Amsterdam Merit Scholarships – Medical school scholarships for non-EU/EEA students who are studying at master’s level in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
- Carl Duisberg Scholarships – Medical scholarships for students currently undertaking their clinical traineeship or practice year in selected medical fields. Eligible candidates include international students wishing to study in Germany and German students wishing to study abroad.
- Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Scholarships and Grants – Research scholarships for students within the fields of clinical or basic biomedical research wanting funding to conduct independent research in Denmark.
- The Karolinska Institutet Global Master’s Scholarships – Scholarships for international students to study at master’s level at the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden.
To study in the UK:
- Imperial College London Faculty of Medicine – A range of scholarships are available to study an MBBS or BSc in medicine at Imperial College London.
- King’s College London Global Health & Social Medicine – One bursary award for entry onto the university’s BA/BSc degree in Global Health & Social Medicine. Open to all nationalities.
- NHS Student Bursaries – One of the most prominent funding bodies in the UK for medical students, the NHS offers large numbers of grants every year to students who are studying medicine. Eligibility varies, but generally these bursaries are only available to residents of England.
- QMUL John Abernethy (Barts) Scholarship for Medicine – Need-based scholarships for medical and dental students studying at Queen Mary University of London on an MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) or BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) program.
- TEG Postgraduate Training Fellowship in Medical Statistics for African Students – Funded by the UK Medical Research Council, this fellowship allows a master’s student from sub-Saharan Africa to study at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) on the MSc in Medical Statistics.
- UCLan MBBS Scholarships – Scholarships for UK students from the North West of England to study an MBBS degree at the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan).
- University of Cambridge Graduate Course in Medicine Bursary – Scholarships for medical students from within the EU to gain funding for study at the University of Cambridge.
- University of Edinburgh/Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh – Scholarships to study an MSc in Internal Medicine, an online distance learning course studied part time over three years, delivered by the University of Edinburgh.
View more scholarships to study in Europe here.
To study anywhere!
- Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships – A small number of doctoral scholarships are available for students of any nationality to undertake medical research at doctoral level at a university in the UK, Ireland, or a low-to-middle-income country.
Want more content like this? Subscribe for free site membership to get regular updates like this Medical Scholarships Around The World, and your own personal content feed.